Thursday, December 19, 2019

A few words from my early days

With a new book on order: "Search for a Whisky Bothy" by Ralf Mitchell, a few words came to mind:

"Howf" .. "Bothy" .. "But 'n' Ben" .. I grew up using these words .. all used for a specific purpose but they do share a descriptive similarity.
Its easy to "Google" the words and get a fair explanation.

HOWF:  for me this was a small Fitters Workshop space, inside a large complex, used to store tools and some odd assortment of spare parts. This was at ICI Nobel division Ardeer.

BOTHY: was a small, stone and brick building, in the back garden of my Mom's eldest brother (uncle Tam) 

BUT 'N' BEN: a small cottage style building in Dumfries and Galloway in SW Scotland that we lived in for 3 years.  Picture of me on my fourth birthday, my dad standing in the doorway, worked at RAF station West Freugh near Stranraer:

No comments: