Thursday, September 06, 2007

What's in a name

Every day I struggle with Chinese pronunciation, admitted, I'm off to a bad start as a native born Scot (strong Ayrshire brogue) who has trouble with "English" (or so they tell me).

Last week I was a little embarrassed when trying to translate my friends name, or at least his family name:
楊 Yang --Mandarin Pinyin: yang2 (Tree: willow, poplar, aspen)

揚 Yang -- Mandarin Pinyin: yang2 (to: scatter, spread, praise)
Take a close look at the Chinese characters .. not a lot of room for mistakes, especially when it was hand written. Naturally I got it wrong .. fortunately another friend corrected me.

Phonetically “Yang” can also be “Lamb” 羊羔 yánggāo
Just an example of the daily pitfalls .. I probably still got something wrong in my explanation.

1 comment:

ankitlochan said...

it took me a year to learn xie xie - it does take time to reach perfection - i m sure u r on the right path........