Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Lochan Tea Samples -- part 3 of 4 (update)

My temporary digs in China have taken on the look and smell of an apothecary shop.
Penultimate tasting session for the Lochan tea samples:
(5 reviewed, 3 under starters orders, 3 in the locker room)
In the blocks:
i: Makaibari Silver Needle - Organic, 2nd Flush 2007 Darjeeling. ii: Castelton Snow Bud, 2nd Flush 2007 Darjeeling. iii: Doke Snow Bud, 2nd Flush 2007 Bihar. Dry leaf:
Makaibari, lightest with pleasing green/white mix of straight, narrow and firm leaves, resembling its appellation.
Castelton, looks like a 3-4 leaf mix, white/green/dark green and brown. Leaf is soft, short and narrow with a twist .
Doke, Largest leaf of the three, broader, longer with slight (boomerang) curve.

Fragrance:
Makaibari, flat and grassy not that strong.
Castelton, a fair hit of fermented red along with grass.
Doke, similar to the Makaibari

Now, as we move from red to green teas .. it's back to Gong Fu practices.
Castelton: Brew: I'll infuse these in my glass pot. (sans the infuser)
This is first up as a transition from reds to green tea, by colour and smell.
First-3rd. infusions .. very pleasant fragrance and taste, a fusion of red/green, no unpleasant astringency or bitterness. Colour moving from red to a deep orange.
A safe tea to serve a tea newbie.
For the two needle leaf teas, I'll emulate Da Sha's technique using a Gaiwan.
Makaibari:
3 infusions, varied times, but tea performed the same. Slightly astringent, no bitter taste. I say a flat, weak taste. .. To me an unpleasant deepish yellow liquor, I'll go back and experiment later .. results if of significance.
Doke: Same process as for the Makaibari, and as compared to Makaibari; stronger flavour, twice the astringency.
I reached this point and realized my head was just not the game .. I'll set these teas aside and go at it again on Saturday.. See update in part 4 of 4

No comments: