Sunday, September 09, 2007

Questions and Respose(s)

Questions and Response(s)

silverneedles said...
whoa! thanks for the pics,holly **** that is alot of tea shops. i wish i was there, WITH LOTS OF CASH!


questions:
do they sell 'small' amounts of tea 1-2 kg or just by the ton?

Yes, you can buy "small" amounts ..
Pu-erh by individual cake or loose packed.
Stores will vacuum bag in size(s) requested. (Oolong/TGY)


do you know is all this tea China produces for chinese consumption?
This is mostly sold to "retail" tea shops in the local Dongguan city area.
No specific "export" sales .. these don't show up in "Open Markets"
Its amazing there a few locations around here like this, some larger some smaller in scale ..
Back in April, I visited "Cha Shan" town .. Tea Mountain town ...
http://chawu.blogspot.com/2007/04/trip-to-cha-shan.html


do they have good prices or you have to negotiate?
Fair prices .. considering this mainly a wholesale area.
Yes you have to negotiate .. Its China. But not the type you do in retail shop.
My example: buying YiXing tea pots (check out their web site)
Pot 1, inexpensive, but attractive .. asking 130 RMB
Pot 2, Asking 610 RMB
Pot 2 matching stand, Asking 130 RMB
So we have; Asking 870 RMB .. I paid 700 RMB for all three. (less than $100 US)


are there problems if you bring kilos of dry tea leaf in luggage to the USA -do they confiscate or tax it
This is ONLY my personal experience(s)
I have had no problems bringing "Packaged Dry Tea" home.
( I only travel with hand carry, NEVER check bags) .. this is nothing to do with tea import jut how I travel.
My point of entry: is California LAX .. I make the HK-LAX flight about 8/10 times a year.


I did send a Fed-Ex package once, there was a bunch of: Pu-erh, Taiwan Oolong, TGY and some pots, cups / stuff, in one box. There was a bit of paperwork hassle to get it out of China .. I sent it from my "Electronics" company .. so I had to explain why an electronics company was "Exporting Tea" .. That done, it made its way to Fed-Ex/ Anchorage Alaska customs. My wife had a few phone calls / fill out a couple of forms .. paid about $30/$40 bucks tax and the package made it home .. safe and sound .. lesson learned .. I only buy what I can carry home or ship the stuff and carry the tea.

No comments: